Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Host

(back to Primer booklist)

The Host, by Stephenie Meyer

I think the Twilight series is pretty ridiculous, but I also think my kindred are too hard on Meyer (especially those who give their opinions without ever bothering to read one of the books). Her only crime is releasing her inner 12-year-old fangirl out into the world. So it's silly, sparkly, and swoony. Most girls have gone through a stage when that stuff is at least a tiny bit appealing. Maybe she just never had a chance to let it out, so it built up until it exploded in sparkles.

The important thing, though, is that The Host is a completely different book. She may try a little too hard for a happy ending, and she might not be Shakespeare, but in The Host she creates a world worth paying attention to. A quiet alien invasion from an alien point of view, huge moral dilemmas, and a quest through the desert - good ingredients for a surprisingly intriguing story.

My first thought when I started reading this was of the Animorphs series by K. A. Applegate. Similar alien species with an extra pinch of evil (or a thousand extra pinches). I'm not sure if my childhood love of Animorphs would survive a rereading now, but someday I intend to find out.

2 comments:

  1. Trust me, Animorphs stands the test of time (and growing up). Artful character development and a darker side of growing up are only slightly obscured by the sheer length of the series. I think if Applegate had made it a 20 volume series instead of 8 billion volumes, it would have approached the level of Harry Potter in terms of critical and literary success. Applegate is quite comfortable exploring complex issues of guilt, attraction, main character death and moral ambiguity.

    Someone who takes it seriously should adapt it as a miniseries. It would be amazing.

    I'll give the Host a try when I can. I'm curious, can you tell that she was mentored by Orson Scott Card in this story?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good way of remembering how awesome it is:

    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Animorphs

    ReplyDelete